Book Blog

The title of the book I am currently reading is Scythe,
Scythe is based in an utopian universe where you can’t really “die” (well you can kill yourself or get run over by someone or something but there are revival centers that can revive you and healing “nanaties” that everyone has in their blood that soothes that pain and heals the wound.) The only way you can die and never come back is if you get gleaned. Gleanings are carried out by scythes and only scythes. Scythes are above the law (most of them at least) but because of that they have to glean 5 people per week or the world will get overpopulated, but here’s the thing... no one who gets taken on as an apprentice by a scythe actually wants to be scythe and that’s the case for the two main characters Citra and Rowan (Rowan is a guy and Citra is a girl.) Rowan and Citra are each taken on as apprentices by Scythe Faraday, only one can be chosen, the other will just carry on with their normal life like nothing ever happened.

      I love the book so far and I am enjoying every minute of reading it,  would say that Scythe is one of the best books that I’ve ever read and once I’m finished I will, most likely, read it again. Anyway, the prompt I will be following today is to determine weather the character is realistic. Now, since there are two characters I will just chose Rowan and if I do another prompt I can do it for Citra. Rowan is a very relatable character, for me anyways, Rowan practically does the bare minimum, he doesn’t play sports and he helps people and has sympathy for others. When I was reading Scythe there was something that happened to Rowan at school before he got the apprenticeship and the way he reacted was something that isn’t very common. Someone was going to be gleaned that Rowan didn’t know very well but the boy didn’t have any family with him so Rowan stayed by his side till his final breath. After he left everyone in his school, even his friends, started being mean to him because they didn’t think that he tried to stop the gleaning, and they were really agitated. Rowan knew they would never believe him so he told everyone that the Scythe that gleaned the boy was his uncle and that his uncle wanted him to chose the next person to be gleaned at the school. The bullying stopped but everyone avoided him, even the teacher, and it was really upsetting because he lost everything at school and his family life isn’t so great either. I know stuff like this doesn’t happen to everyone and it is fairly rare, especially with the Scythes, but I could imagine Rowan being a person, and even going to my school. Then (if you don’t want spoilers because you would like to read this book I suggest you skip ahead to the next paragraph) you find out that the Scythe that takes on Citra and Rowan was the first Scythe to ever take on two apprentices at once. So one of the other scythes suggests that whoever becomes a scythe (out of the two of them) has to kill the other, and Rowan doesn’t want to kill Citra so he decides that he will act like he wants to win but secretly he will throw the competition. (I don’t know if Rowan actually goes through with it or if they end up not having to kill each other because I haven’t finished the book but I am looking forward to finding out, well... not really. I guess once I find out it could either be really good news or really bad news and I don’t even know if I want to find out...) In all I think that if I lived in the utopian universe and I saw Rowan’s story posted online (or whatever...) I’d probably think that it was an actual persons bullying story and I really believe that Rowan’s character development and realisticness is one of the best I’ve ever read/seen.

      The next prompt I will be “following” is which character I like least and boy, oh, boy do I have a character I despise... Goddard. The most narcissistic, self-centered, egotistical scythe. Whenever I start reading about Scythe Goddard I practically roll my eyes and say “Ugh.” Under my breath and there isn’t one thing I like about him. First of all, Goddard is the master Scythe for massive gleanings (like a terrorist.) Goddard goes to a place (like a home, a store, a train.) with his lackeys and gleans everyone that happens to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Second of all, Scythe Goddard is ruthless, he is sloppy with his killing and he kills a lot of people in under (I’d say) about 3 minutes, maybe less. Then, he takes advantage of people giving scythes free stuff because they want immunity from gleanings for a year, he once went to glean everyone in a mansion and then he let the family live
 but the owner had to give the Scythe the mansion, quit his job as the owner of a very popular company and become the scythes pool boy to stay alive. Lastly, Scythe Goddard throws parties whenever he wants, (SPOILER UP AHEAD! MOVE FORWARD WITH CAUTION!) ScytheGoddard eventually takes on Rowan as an apprentice (I won’t tell you why...) and he throws Rowan a party for becoming his apprentice and Rowan doesn’t know anyone at the party other that Scythe Goddard and his followers. Then you find out, around a month later, that sometimes Goddard just throws random parties whenever he wants and people show up. I just get so angry when he does whatever he wants because he “can” and he doesn’t care about other people as much as he does himself.


Comments

  1. Your book sounds quite interesting. I never really thought about the idea of Death’s (the Scythes) own apprentice. I wish you would have elaborate more on the process of gleaning. Why can’t you get healed after a gleaning? Are there a large quantity of Scythes? Your post was extremely engaging due to how much you convey your point of view to the audience. The book sounds quite thrilling!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

7th Grade Introduction

WWII Nonfiction Reader Response

What I am Thankful for